About Epsom Gymnastics and Trampoline Club
About Epsom Gymnastics and Trampoline Club
All of our staff, parents and children are required to adhere to / observe the following EGTC mission & values, & safety procedures. Our guidelines are in line with those recommended by British Gymnastics:
E.G.T.C aims and objectives
As a club we aim to provide a safe, happy and structured environment for children to learn and enjoy gymnastics. To achieve this we work around a child structured philosophy, so they can feel secure in our care and enjoy what we teach them. In addition to improving gymnastics and trampoline skills we aim to embrace other areas of children’s development including social skills, creativity and imagination, co-ordination, flexibility, agility, endurance, speed, strength, balance and emotional independence.
The coach owes a duty of care to the children in the group. There are inherent risks associated with the sport of gymnastics and trampolining, however these are minimized by attending relevant courses and gaining qualifications, good supervision of the group, good health and safety practice within the set up of equipment and implementing good coaching practices and a safe training environment.
We will endeavour to run classes every single Saturday (except in holiday periods- see term dates for details). However in the event of unforeseen circumstances (including but not limited to....severe weather conditions, flooding, problems with the Rainbow Centre building or force majeure), we may have to cancel sessions, and we regret we will not be able to refund that lesson. If a lesson is to be cancelled, EGTC will notify parents by putting a message on the news section of this website, will put a notice up at the Rainbow, will send an email round parentmail.
Badge award scheme
We run our own EGTC gymnastics badge award scheme, trampoline awards are as per the British Gymnastics criteria. Every child has their own badge sheet, and will work progressively through their ticks until they achieve their badge. This is both for our trampolinists and gymnasts.
Children naturally progress at their own rate and therefore we aim to support them though this process. Children do not necessarily do ticks every week. This is especially important if they are stuck on one or two things, as this can be rather repetitive and de-motivating if they were only doing these things week after week. Rather, we aim to teach the children through progressions, and then after a few weeks we often find a child will naturally achieve their tick as they have built up the skills in the previous weeks to allow them to do that skill more easily. Please also be assured that if your child is stuck on one or two ticks, that where possible they will also be doing ticks towards their next badge.
Leotards, shorts, leggings or tracksuit bottoms (not covering feet), no belt loops, belts or dangling decorations. T-shirts (not too baggy), socks only for trampoline. Long hair should be tied back.
NO JEWELLERY OR WATCHES
NO CHEWING GUM OR FOOD, OR DRINKS IN THE HALL (there is a drinks fountain outside the hall if required).
NO SKIRTS OR JEANS
We cannot take any responsibility for any personal property brought to the lesson. Please do not leave any belongings unattended in the sports hall or Rainbow Centre. Any loss should be reported to E.G.T.C staff and Rainbow main reception. There are lockers provided outside the hall. We also ask that no such items are left in the hall due to trip hazard. We also do not allow buggies in the hall unless it is for medical reasons.
Payment and insurance
For new children we allow a weekly payment for the first session. After the trial session we will need conformation you would like to take up the space and a payment of the remainder of the term plus insurance. The terms fees, dates and insurance fee will be given to you upon registration with the club. All children are required to have insurance to participate.
All fees are asked for in advance of the half term,
If you are not returning please inform us A.S.A.P.
British Gymnastics provides our members with insurance. Children are not allowed to participate in classes unless they have BG membership. If you're new, Insurance will be sorted out with you after two weeks.
The Rainbow Centre has its own car park. If you keep your parking voucher you can claim most of the parking fee back once in the Centre. If spaces are full you can use Hook Road car park, and still claim your parking refund if you park on the first two floors. There is an alleyway down the left side of this car park that takes you to the back of the Rainbow Centre to avoid you walking all the way round.
Child code of conduct
As a club member you must abide by the following rules
- Arrive at the session on time and attend the warm up
- Do not wait in the hall whilst you are waiting for your class to start.
- Attend the session with a good attitude and willingness to learn and take instruction from the coach.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the lesson. Hair tied back and no jewellery.
- Inform coach of any injuries or illness before taking part in the warm up.
- Respect others within E.G.T.C and within the Rainbow centre.
- Abide by the rules of the club.
- No chewing gum, food or drink within the sports hall.
- Treat all equipment with respect.
- No bad language is to be used towards other members, coaches or other adults within the Rainbow Centre.
Parent/ guardian code of conduct
- To complete all club registration forms and keep details up to date.
- To arrive at session on time.
- Bring your child in good health to participate in the session.
- Make sure your child is wearing appropriate clothing.
- Encourage your child to learn the rules and abide by them.
- Keep the club informed if your child is ill or unable to attend.
- Talk to staff about any concerns or complaints you have using the complaints procedure.
- Endeavour to have a good relationship and communication with the club and coaches.
- Not to be abusive, use bad language towards children, coaches or others within the Rainbow Centre.
- Always collect your child on time after the session. Inform a member of staff if there is a possibility you will be late.
- Have responsibility for your children outside of the class (that is, until their class starts, and when they exit the hall after their class).
- Your child is not allowed to wait in the hall whilst waiting for their class to start. They must remain outside the hall in your care until they are called in.
- Congratulate your child on a good performance.
- Help your child enjoy their sport and never force your child to take part.
- If your child has had sickness and diarrhoea in the past 48 hours please don't bring your child to EGTC, to help prevent spreading infection.
E.G.T.C staff code of conduct
- Arrive to work on time, correct clothing and no jewellery.
- Come to work in good health.
- Never arrive to work under the influence of alcohol.
- Set up equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Consider the well-being of your group.
- Have a good relationship with the children and the parents
- Have a good and respectful working relationship with other members of staff.
- Adhere to E.G.T.C policies and procedures.
- Follow all guidelines laid down by British Gymnastics.
- Attend training courses, gain appropriate qualifications and keep them valid. Have appropriate insurance cover.
- Make sure you are teaching appropriate skills for age, ability, experience and using relevant progression. Prepare the children physically and mentally for new skills.
- Be a good example for members of the club. Good attitude, appearance, behaviour and not using inappropriate language at any time during club activities.
- Praise members for their efforts not just achievements.
- Promote fair play within the sport.
- ALWAYS report any incident, referrals or disclosures immediately. Use guidelines set out in BG Child Protection policy.
EGTC HAVE THE RIGHT TO ASK ANYONE NOT COMPLYING WITH THE CODE OF CONDUCT TO LEAVE.
General Safety Guidelines and Child Safety
All coaches and helpers are DBS checked and have undertaken Safeguarding and Protecting Children Training
- Parents are responsible for children outside hall.
- No running in hall EXCEPT when part of activity
- No jewellery
- No mobile phones within the hall. Emergency mobile at desk only.
- No eating/drinking in the hall
- No cameras/videos in the hall or from the viewing windows
- No obstructing fire exits
- No parents in the hall unless you need to see a member of staff, pay fees, or if you are new (first 2 weeks)
- Please allow children to enter/ exit the sports hall freely- DO NOT BLOCK THE FIRE EXITS AND ENTRANCE
- Follow all Rainbow Centre rules
- Follow all E.G.T.C rules
- Do not leave litter in the hall
- Only use equipment when supervised by a coach
- No skate shoes
- Parents are responsible for their children outside the class; that is, until their class starts, and when they exit the hall after their class. Your child is not allowed to wait in the hall whilst waiting for their class to start. They must remain outside the hall in your care until they are called in.
- If you need to take your child out of the class early you must inform a coach at the desk . Please ensure you do this before warm up has ended.
- Ideally parents/carers of children under 10 must remain within the Rainbow Centre. If you need to leave the centre for any reason please leave us with a mobile number.
- Observe and comply with the Rainbow Centre’s and EGTC’s safety regulations
- Please could your child wait outside the hall until they are called into their class.
Trampoline Safety Code
- Treat everyone with respect
- Only practice skills you have been taught by your coach/ teacher
- Be sensible and do not dare others to try new skills the teacher has not taught
- Never go underneath a trampoline or end decks
- Wear appropriate sports clothing; keep nails short, hair tied back; remove all jewellery, wear non slip socks or trampoline shoes.
- Pay attention when around the trampoline including spotting
- Inform coach/teacher of any pre-existing injury or medical condition (including recent head injuries)
- Only use the trampoline when your coach/teacher is present
- Avoid stepping on the bed when someone else is bouncing.
- Jumping down from the trampoline to the floor is dangerous and not allowed.
- It is strictly forbidden to take videos or photos in the Rainbow Centre (including cameras, video cameras of any type and mobile phones) including within the hall or through the viewing window. If anyone witnesses this taking place please inform a member of staff immediately.
As a club we aim to provide a good quality of teaching and care of all the children that attend the sessions.
If a parent is concerned or unhappy about any aspect of the club they are encouraged to bring this to the attention of a member of staff.
If it’s regarding badges or group structure then please talk to your child's group coach and hopefully it will be resolved in that discussion.
If it is about a member of staff's conduct, or a matter of bullying, or breach of our policies then please bring it to the attention of the welfare officer or the manager.
If the verbal contact does not resolve the problem it is suggested that the complaint is put in writing so E.G.T.C can respond formally.
We believe that most complaints can be resolved easily if they are raised in the early stages. All communications are taken seriously and are dealt with fairly and in a way that respects confidentiality.
Where necessary we will involve our Club Welfare Officer (CWO). With the complainant we will set time-scales for any feedback, findings and monitoring that may need to take place.
Any complaints made must be in a timely and respectful manner, in line with the parent code of conduct.
If it is a matter that needs to be dealt with as a matter of urgency, please approach management or the desk secretary. Do not distract a coach whilst they are teaching.
If a complaint is not resolved we can take the matter to British Gymnastics.
Please take your child to the toilet before their lesson starts. In the event that your child does need the toilet during the lesson a member of staff will take them. All staff are DBS checked. If the child requires a parent to take them the coach will wait at the door until the child is handed back to them.
PLEASE TELL YOUR CHILD NOT TO RUN AWAY FROM THEIR GROUP AND TO TELL THEIR COACH IF THEY NEED ANYTHING.
PLEASE DO NOT OBSTRUCT THE FIRE EXITS
If your child has entered the hall for their lesson then E.G.T.C staff are now responsible for them.
In the event of a fire Please DO NOT enter the hall to retrieve your children as staff will be evacuating them in their groups.
The staff and children's assembly point is at the back of the staff car park where the register will be taken, then will be escorted to the main assembly point in the front car park.
Parents should evacuate at the fire doors in the corridor or at the front entrance of the centre.
If an accident happens within the Rainbow Centre please contact the nearest member of staff.
First aid provisions are available from the centre reception and E.G.T.C desk.
Any accidents that take place in the sports hall will be dealt with by E.G.T.C staff or rainbow staff where we have several first aiders.
All accidents will be recorded and parents notified.
In the event that an ambulance is required a member of staff will contact the parent/ guardian as soon as possible. A member of staff will also accompany the child to hospital until the named person arrives.
Child Protection and the Welfare Officer
As required by British Gymnastics we have a trained welfare officer within the club. Please see notice board inside the hall or the website for current identification.
The club welfare officer is the first point of contact for club staff, volunteers, young people and parents, for any issue concerning child welfare, poor practice or potential/ alleged abuse.
If anyone has any issues please feel free to talk to our club officer, conversations will comply with the clubs confidentiality policies and child protection national guidelines.
EGTC has adpted the BG Safeguarding Policy, which can be seen on our club noticeboard or viewed here: https://www.british-gymnastics.org/documents/departments/membership/safeguarding-compliance/safeguarding-and-protecting-children/5727-safeguarding-and-protecting-children-policy-1/file
EGTC has adopted the BG Social Media policy, which can be seen on our club noticeboard or viewed here: https://www.british-gymnastics.org/documents/departments/membership/ethics-and-welfare/welfare-officer-support/3466-bg-good-practice-guidelines-on-the-use-of-social-networking-sites/file
Confidentiality/ data protection
EGTC has adopted Data Protection Regulation in line with the new GDPR coming into force on 25th May 2018. Members are informed of our Privacy Statement and data protection policy and are entitled to ask for this information at any time.
E.G.T.C strives to ensure that all individuals are equally valued and everyone treats each other with respect. People will not be discriminated against because of race, ethnicity, gender, disability, age, faith, culture or family background and social status.
E.G.T.C will not accept any discrimination towards others and actions of this nature will be dealt with very seriously. The person responsible may be asked not to return to the club.
Disability and Special Needs
We currently have members with a number of individual needs and aim to work with parents to include as many children as we can. Unfortunately due to limitations with equipment we are not able to cater for some needs. Please come in or contact the manager to talk about your child. If we are not able to cater for your child’s needs we will be able to recommend some clubs that might be able to help you.
Personal Harassment Policy for Staff, Gymnasts And Parents
Everyone has the right to attend the club/ work without the fear of harassment or abuse on the grounds of gender, race or colour, mental or physical disability, learning ability, age, religious or political beliefs.
- Harassment may include:
- Physical contact from touching or assault
- Verbal or written harassment. Offensive language, gossip, comments of a discriminatory manner
- Intimidating behaviour towards children, parents or staff.
Affiliation and insurance
E.G.T.C holds its personal accident and public liability insurance. This is linked to club registration and individual membership with British Gymnastics.
E.G.T.C is affiliated to British Gymnastics, South-East Gymnastics and Surrey Gymnastics and holds Club Mark and Gym Mark certification, see www.britishgymnastics.org for details.